Excel does not offer Gantt as chart type, but it's easy to create a Gantt chart by customizing the stacked bar chart type. Below you can find our Gantt chart data.
To create a Gantt chart, execute the following steps.
1. On the Insert tab, click Bar and select Stacked Bar.
2. Right click on the empty chart and click Select Data.
3. Click Add and add the two Series (Start Date and Duration).
4. Click Edit under Horizontal (Category) Axis Labels and select the range A4:A11.
5. Click OK.
6. Click the legend on the right side and press Delete.
7. The tasks (Foundation, Walls, etc.) are in reverse order. Right click the tasks on the chart, click Format Axis and check 'Categories in reverse order'.
8. Click Close.
9. Right click the red bars, click Format Data Series, Fill, No fill.
10. Click Close.
Dates and times are stored as numbers in Excel and count the number of days since January 0, 1900. 1-jun-2012 is the same as 41061. 13-jul-2012 is the same as 41103.
11. Right click the dates on the chart, click Format Axis and set the Minimum to 41061, Maximum to 41103 + duration last task = 41103 + 2 = 41105 and Major unit to 7.
12. Click Close.
Result. A Gantt chart in Excel.
Note that the plumbing and electrical work can be executed simultaneously.
Did you find this information helpful? Show your appreciation, vote for us.