Most chart types have two axes: a horizontal axis (or x-axis) and a vertical axis (or y-axis). This example teaches you how to change the axis type, add axis titles and how to change the scale of the vertical axis.
To create a column chart, execute the following steps.
1. Select the range A1:B7.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Charts group, choose Column, and select Clustered Column.
As you can see below, Excel also shows the dates between 8/24/2013 and 9/1/2013. To remove these dates, change the axis type from Date axis to Text axis.
1. Right click the horizontal axis, and then click Format Axis.
2. Click Text axis.
3. Click Close.
To add a horizontal or vertical axis title, execute the following steps.
1. Select the chart. The Chart Tools contextual tab activates.
2. On the Layout tab, click Axis Titles.
3. Click Primary Vertical Axis Title, Rotated Title.
4. Enter a vertical axis title. For example, Visitors.
By default, Excel automatically determines the values on the vertical axis. To change these values, execute the following steps.
1. Right click the vertical axis, and then click Format Axis.
2. Click the Fixed option button next to Maximum.
3. Enter the value 12000.
4. Click close.