A workbook is another word for your Excel file. Excel automatically creates a blank workbook when you open it.
To open a workbook you've created in the past, execute the following steps.
1. Click on the green File tab.
What you see next is called the backstage view and it contains all the workbook related commands.
2. Recent shows you a list of your recently used workbooks. You can quickly open a workbook from here.
3. Click Open to open a workbook that is not on the list.
If you are new to Excel, it's good to know the difference between closing a workbook and closing Excel. This can be confusing in the beginning.
1. To close an Excel workbook, click the lower X.
2. If you have multiple workbooks open, clicking the upper right X closes the active workbook. If you have one workbook open, clicking the upper right X closes Excel.
Although Excel creates a blank workbook when you open it, sometimes you want to start all over again.
1. To create a new workbook, click New and then click Create.
Did you find this information helpful? Show your appreciation, share this page.